Saturday, May 3, 2008

Goals


So as most of you know, I've been trying to reach my original weight loss goal (30lbs.) that I set for myself last fall. I still haven't been able to reach it, but I keep getting between five to seven pounds of it. I just keep fluctuating up and down every week for about two months now. It has become so frustrating being so close, but not being able to break past these last few pounds. And of course, now that I've come so close, I've been tempted to increase my goal by an additional five or ten pounds by summertime. Because as we all know, everyone can stand to lose a few extra pounds before squeezing into those bathing suits!

Anyway, I started my running routine a few months ago now, in an effort to set some new goals for myself to focus on...goals that have nothing to do with weight, but instead with my abilities to challenge myself and push myself beyond what I think I am capable of. I'm happy to say that I am getting stronger as each week passes and I'm seeing so many results that I'm proud of, besides a silly number on a scale! Here are a few goals that I have been able to meet recently:

1. Staying steady at a size 10! It was fun to go through my summer clothes when I started spring cleaning only to find that clothes from last year that were too small are now falling off. Doesn't help my budget, but it sure does feel good to reach for the smaller size in the store and feel great about the person looking back at me in the mirror!

2. Increasing my .5 mile runs to 2 miles and going from an average of a 15 minute mile to a 10-11 minute mile. Also going from running once a week to three or four times a week, even after my regular workouts.

3. Getting up to 300lbs on the leg press at the gym! Thanks to my buddy Kevin, I'm increasing my weights every week and improving so quickly. Finally starting to get some definition in these legs of mine. Perhaps I might even get some shorts this summer...then again, we'll have to wait and see on that one.

4. Increasing my strength training and finally getting my arms and upper body in shape. I've always struggled with this, but have really begun enjoying lifting weights and working out on Friday mornings before work.

5. Finally starting to see some toning in my abs and obliques. This is such a trouble area for me and no matter how many crunches or ab exercises I've done in the past, I have never been able to flatten my stomach. Mind you, I'll never be someone with a flat stomach, but it has been nice to see this area tightening and shaping up a bit too. I can't believe what a difference running has been making to my entire body.

So, those are just some of the goals I have been reaching lately. I'm still aiming for the weight loss goal as well, but it's becoming less and less important to me. My next 5K is May 21, so I'll report back and let you know how I do with that one. Even if my time doesn't decrease, I'm so happy to look back and see how far I've come since beginning this new journey. Thanks for all the support, it means the world to me!

3 comments:

Aleesh said...

The kiddos and I ran a 5K this weekend. The IronGirl. We did it in 38:38. Next year's goal is under 30 minutes. Wanna join us?

Anonymous said...

your goals are awesome!!! i only wish i had the energy you do ;) keep it up hun!

Anonymous said...

As I said last Friday, you look great and I am really impressed with your goals and perseverance. Good luck with the 5k later this month and hope to see you soon. EJ