Monday, June 2, 2008

Things That Boggle Me - #2

Okay, another installment of things that boggle me. This one came about from a conversation that got going on my listserve the other day. Where the heck have all the manners gone? I mean SERIOUSLY!!! I cannot tell you how many days I see people treating each other with such rude behavior and disrespect and I just don't get it. Is it really that hard to say please or thank you? To hold a door open for the person following you inside? To compliment someone on their cute outfit? To wave thank you to someone who lets you switch lanes in traffic? Are we really TOO BUSY to be kind?

Well, I continue to spread the JOY! No matter how silly it may be to some or how trivial it may seem to others, I enjoy "thinking" that I might be the difference in someone's day. I am happy to provide the extra smile, encourage an extra moment of laughter at work and often go out of my way to make sure everyone is A-OK! It's not a job or a requirement, it's just ME and I am really happy I was raised this way. Thanks Mom and Dad!

So...show someone YOUR manners this week! Hold that door open, even if you have to wait an extra minute. Smile and wave at that person who stops at the crosswalk for you. Genuinely thank someone when they do something nice for you...it could make all the difference!

2 comments:

Aleesh said...

When we don't get a thank you wave when performing acts of kindness in the car, the kids all shriek "WHAT? NO THANK YOU WAVE?" I guess the best that I can do is to teach my children manners and hopefully they can help to spread the goodness around as well. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% - keep up the good work :) ej