Monday, May 24, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and a Recipe Calculator

As promised...Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe was indeed attempted this weekend thanks to the help of pickycook.com and a reminding boyfriend. We give them four very enthusiastic thumbs up!!! I'm pretty sure Monkey cat would also raise a paw to them if she was allowed to eat them, but they did contain chocolate chips, so Mama said "No." They also made the house smell delicious and you can't complain about that! I think Andy especially enjoyed them; he'd been over at his dad's house mowing the lawn for the afternoon and was surprised to see me removing them from the oven just as he walked in the door.

Although I would have enjoyed mixing the ingredients in a KitchenAid Mixer that I've had my eye on for a while now...I am practicing my skills of less needless consumption and resurrected the ancient food processor that my mom gave us while cleaning out their house in NH a few months ago. I think we've already used it 5 or 6 times, and I'm sure Mom would admit that's probably more than she EVER used it in the last 20 10 years!





      

When I tried my first recipe from pickycook.com, I noticed that many people left comments on the recipes and blog posts and had received comments/answers back from the blog's author. I had been wondering about how to figure out the nutritional content of the recipes and their serving-size calorie count, so I figured I'd test my luck and leave a comment requesting the info from the writer. To my delight, she wrote me back today and suggested that I search for a recipe calculator on google.com (mentioning that she had been able to find one previously).  My mom won't be surprised to learn that Sparkpeople.com (the site that she LOVES) had my answer: Recipe Calculator!!! You can add your ingredients, list your servings per recipe and VIOLA...nutritional information compiled. Good stuff!

Below is what the calculator figured out for the cookies. I'm sure the recipe was supposed to make more than 20 cookies, but we like our cookies a little bigger around here, so I adjusted my scoops accordingly. With 220 calories per cookie, one is certainly enough to satisfy a sweet tooth after lunch or dinner, yet also leaves you with a full belly at the same time. Bake some for/with your family this week!


Nutrition Facts

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
  20 Servings
Amount Per Serving
  Calories220.2
  Total Fat11.2 g
     Saturated Fat6.7 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.9 g
     Monounsaturated Fat2.6 g
  Cholesterol29.3 mg
  Sodium94.3 mg
  Potassium112.0 mg
  Total Carbohydrate36.1 g
     Dietary Fiber3.5 g
     Sugars16.9 g
  Protein3.2 g

1 comment:

jenn shurkus said...

oatmeal choc chip are my fave!!! and those look fabulous :)