Sunday, February 11, 2007

Measure Twice, Cut Once


I learned a great lesson from my Dad when I was growing up. Measure twice, cut once. It refers to cutting things for projects, but I also refer it to measuring spaces before you purchase things, i.e. rugs, baskets for shelves, frames for walls. I have to admit, I don't always do this and the end results when I don't aren't very happy. I get all excited about my purchase and then it just doesn't work in the space like I planned. ("So, did you measure the lawn mower?" I asked my dad as he's cutting one of the final pieces for the shed that will house it later. Hehehehe. To this day, the back end of the lawn mower sticks out about 2 inches longer than the shed.)

Luckily today wasn't one of those days. After my post about the rugs the other day, I decided that I really should measure the actual area that I wanted to rug to take up and it wasn't 4'x6' at all, which is what I had originally thought. Instead, the max was 3' x 5' and apparently this rug size does NOT exist in any dept. store even though it is listed on their website. There are 30" x 50" or 22" x 60", but not the magic size I was looking for. Finally today, I strolled into Khols and came across my closest match. A tan jute rug that measures 3'7" x 5'. Still a little larger than I planned, but I think it will work well. I will be setting it up later this afternoon and I'll share some pics then. Have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute story :)