Monday, March 19, 2007

A Gift of Gratitude


I am a person who tries to look for the simple pleasures in life; someone who tries to notice the little things and not take anything for granted. But like anyone else, I'm only human and I can have a bad day that would make even the most cheerful girl a little cranky. I was having myself one of those cranky days just last week at work, when I came back to my desk to find a little gift and card had been left for me.

Let me explain a little background. We have a program at my work called the Affiliate Group Service Program, in which we offer complimentary services to certain non-profit groups, associations and organizations that are connected to local government and community leadership/growth in some way. (That isn't the best way to describe the program, but it's probably the easiest to understand without going into a whole long explanation). These groups need our help with administrative tasks, event planning, database organization, mailings, graphic design, etc. We currently have over 25 groups that utilize this service and at least half use the design services on a regular basis. With so many groups, it is easy to feel unappreciated or overlooked when doing work for them. That isn't a bad thing, as we are suppose to be behind the scenes. We want the groups to shine and just want to assist them, as they need. However on this day, one person from one of these groups wanted to be sure I knew just how much I meant to her and her group.

I opened the card to find a lovely handwritten note about just how much I am appreciated for all the help and guidance I offer their group. She wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooked and had thought of me when she saw this gift in a store. I opened the bag to find a box with a special little necklace inside. She wanted me to have this gift to share her gratitude with me for a job well done. Even though the necklace is very special to me, she left me with an even greater gift that day. She reminded me to see the gratitude in the everyday and reminded me to focus on those little details that make our lives so rich and meaningful. Even when you don't think you're making a difference, you'd be surprise at just how many people are appreciating you in their own ways. And for that reminder, I am truly grateful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how sweet hun, i bet it made you feel good :)